I have been busy for the last couple of months brainstorming the ideas for the blog… After a lot of hard work and relentless pursuit , I was still deciding on the precise date to launch my blog as it marks the Birthday of my blog!
What better date than today!
It is August the beginning of the festive season in India and also one of the most important days for every Indian living in India and abroad . The Indian Independence Day which falls on August 15th remembers the sacrifices that our freedom fighters made. As the flag flies high, I wanted to celebrate this joyous day and rekindle everyone’s patriotic fervor through the burger that resembles the tricolor of Indian National Flag and give tribute to the homeland!! Experience true patriotism as you take a bite of this delicious independence day themed burger.
So what made you choose an American dish for this launch, you may ask.
Well, I am a true-born Indian, living in America , but India is my motherland, my heartland… What could be the best confluence of the two countries than an American burger in an Indian style. Respect to the country that I reside in and Tribute to my motherland, and the country where I actually belong to!!!
This burger will always be close to my heart for all the good reasons.
The Indian flag has 3 colors Saffron , White and Green
Saffron signifies the sacrifice and courage during the freedom movement , the White color represents peace purity and honesty and Green signifies the vibrancy growth and prosperity
Just to summarize how the colors are related , During the freedom struggle a lot of our fellow countrymen and freedom fighters made sacrifices ( Saffron ) in their lives which led to a a simplistic and truthful life(White) .They were always visualizing a better India (Green) – growth and progress of country
My interpretation goes like this: From Courage and Sacrifice we have got the Freedom, through purity and truth we should move towards growth and progress
It is said that you eat with your eyes first. What make this burger more appetizing is that….. its colored naturally…. Using Carrots and Spinach!!!
What are the layers in Burger?
Saffron Bun– Gets the color from Carrot Juice. Main Ingredient is Chickpea flour
White Cheese– Is Fresh Mozzarella cheese
Green Burger Patties– Gets the color from Spinach and other fresh green herbs. Mainly made from Chickpea, potato and Spinach
This burger is easily customizable. You can add as many veggies as you like. You can choose to replace chickpea with Quinoa and spinach with Beets.
Ingredients that I have used are lots of green herbs which gives intense flavor to burger and buns.
Other burger recipe you may like Quinoa beetroot burger
Very basic ingredients and most of it will be in your pantry and fridge already. Get up go and make them now and let me know!
For the Buns
- 2 Cups Chickpea Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Basil, Parsley, Thyme or other herbs Finely Chopped
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 Cups Carrot Juice or 50:50 :: carrot Juice:Water or just water if you don't want the color to buns
For the Burger Patties
- 1 Cup Chick Peas coarsen blend
- 1 Potato cooked Mashed
- 2 Cups Spinach blanched Blend to puree
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Powder
- 3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1/2 Cup Parsley Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dill Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Bread crumbs
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Slices Fresh Mozzarella Cheese or any of your choice Sliced
To make Buns
- Chickpea flour batter: To make chickpea flour batter stir together the chickpea flour, salt, baking powder, and Carrot Juice in a small bowl.
- Whisk: Whisk together until blended completely. Add chopped herbs and minced garlic ,stir well. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Roast: Lightly brush the preheated pan with olive oil. Grease the inside of the stainless steel rings (9 cm in diameter) with olive oil, place them into the pan, and pour 2 tablespoons of the batter into each ring. If you do not have steel rings then you can simply make as you make pancakes.
- Remove the rings: Cook for about 2-3 minutes on one side . Loosen the bun from the ring with a knife, and slowly and carefully remove the hot ring with tongs.
- Flip: Carefully tuck a spatula underneath the bun and flip over. Cook for another minute or so until the buns are done. Place them aside.
To make Burger Patties
- Saute: Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add garlic. Sauté on medium heat. Remove from heat. Place mixture in a large bowl.
- Make Dough: Add coarse ground chickpea, mashed potato, Bread crumbs, dill, parsley, cumin and cayenne pwd and salt to the bowl. Mix well to form a dough. Take the mixture in the palm and shape into a patty (But I used the mold to make the patties) Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cook the patty: Heat tablespoon of olive oil in frying pan on medium-low. Gently place the patties in the frying pan. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip the patties and cook on low for another 3-4 minutes until the patties are golden all over and quite dry to touch.
- Serve: Remove and serve hot with burger buns and any cheese of your choice
- Just the buns can be eaten for breakfast as well. If you do not have mold , just pour the batter onto hot skillet. It will be thin but you can always stack 2 of then to make it thick.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?