These Jack-O-Lantern filled with bell pepper, kale, kabocha squash, nuts and cheese, are packed with autumn flavors, making for a meatless main course that can rival any holiday meal.
These pumpkins are a wholesome meal for any vegetarian. The time it takes to bake is totally worth the taste it gets. This will be another outstanding dish that will drag everyones attention.
- Adding layers of kabocha squash purée intensifies the deep pumpkin flavor.
- This recipe can easily be adapted to use ingredients that you already have in your pantry.
If you are looking for more vegetarian friendly Thanksgiving recipes you may want to check out Vegetarian Turkey
Lets meet the ingredients and process
If you made this please leave a comment and rate the recipe
- Baking Tray
For Baking Pumpkins and Squash
- 2 Small Pumpkins 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 1 Small Kabocha squash about a pound
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Black pepper
For the Filling
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Bell pepper
- 5 Oz Kale tough stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 2 Clove Garlic Chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp Thyme Fresh or dried
- 1 Tsp Red wine vinegar
- 1 Tsp Salt
For the Spiced Cream
- 3/4 Cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tsp All spice Or substitute with 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/3 tsp ground cloves
- 2 Slice Bread
- 1/3 Cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 Cup Pecan
- 1/2 Cup Shredded cheese
Bake the Pumpkins and Squash
- Pre heat: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep the Pumpkin: Working with one pumpkin at a time, use a sharp knife to cut the top of the pumpkin off in one piece.
- Remove the seeds: Carefully run knife along the cavity of the pumpkin to loosen seeds and stringy pulp, then use a spoon to scoop them out and scrape the cavity clean. Scrape seeds and pulp from the tops as well. Discard seeds and. Repeat with remaining pumpkins.
- Prep squash: Cut the kabocha squash into half and scrape seeds off the squash.
- Apply oil: Place kabocha squash halves cut side up on a work surface along with pumpkins. Lightly drizzle the cut and inner surfaces of kabocha squash along with pumpkins, and pumpkin tops with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Place pumpkin tops on pumpkins, then set pumpkins on prepared baking sheet. Set kabocha squash, cut side down, on the same baking sheet. Roast until kabocha squash is tender and can easily be pierced with a knife, and pumpkins have slightly softened, 45 minutes to an hour(Depends on how big your pumpkins are)
- Remove and set to cool: Lift pumpkin tops from pumpkins to allow steam to escape and set all roasted squash aside to cool on baking sheet.
- Scoope: Once the kabocha squash is cool enough to handle, use a large spoon to scoop the flesh into a medium bowl and roughly mash with the back of the spoon. Discard squash skin. Season mashed squash with salt and pepper and set aside.
Make the Filling
- Cook veggies: In a skillet add tbsp of olive oil . Once it is hot enough, add chopped garlic and onion and cook it for 1-2 minutes. Then add chopped bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes more. Add chopped kale and cook until kale is slightly wilted and softened and add red wine vinegar. Transfer this to a bowl.
- Toast nuts and bread: Using the same skillet, dry toast pecans and pumpkin seeds for about 2 minutes. Transfer this to a bowl. Now roast the bread and cut into 3/4 inch dice and keep it aside.
Make the Spiced Cream
- Whisk: Whisk together cream, milk, salt, pepper, all spice and paprika in a cup. (If you don’t have all spice powder you can use combination of cinnamon pwd, nutmeg pwd, ginger pwd , and clove pwd)
To Stuff and Finish baking Jack-O-Lanterns
- Assemble: Stuff pumpkins by dividing and layering the ingredients in the following order: Mashed kabocha squash, bread, bell pepper-kale mixture, pumpkin seeds, pecans, cheese and spiced cream. Gently press mixture down with your hands, then repeat layering process if required.
- Bake: Bake stuffed pumpkins on baking sheet at 350 F with tops until pumpkins are tender and easily pierced by a knife for about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve: Remove pumpkins from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Using a large spatula, carefully transfer pumpkins to a serving platter, sprinkle some red chilly flakes if you wish to. Serve immediately.
- All spice: All spice is nothing but combination of 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/3 tsp ground cloves
- Instead of Kabocha squash, you can choose to use any other squash as well. But adding layers of kabocha squash purée intensifies the deep pumpkin flavor.
- Make sure not to use large pumpkins, it can get difficult to handle. Try to use about 2lbs pumpkins.
- You can add any veggies you may like in the pumpkins. Broccolis are one of my options. Olives tastes good too.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?