The best way to experience something is to try it, give it a shot. A lot of readers would have refrained from Jackfruit for a variety of reasons. You may not know what you are missing. Jackfruit is an excellent protein base for a lot of recipes. The texture of jackfruit makes it an easy meat replacement for vegan dishes.
Jackfruit is very versatile, Green jackfruit and ripened jackfruit has different taste and adds different texture and taste when used in recipes. Green jackfruit can be used to make curries and rice while ripened fruit can be used to make chip and ice-cream.
Today’s recipe is one such of many future jackfruit dishes – Jackfruit Coconut Curry.
Jackfruit and coconut are a classic combination. The chewy texture of Jackfruit along with the creamy coconut is a sight of relish in itself. Add to it a zing of spiciness and the dish transforms into something heavenly. It cooks quickly and can be served with Indian bread or rice.
Do give it a try if you love jackfruit and if you have never tried jackfruit before, this will be a perfect dish to enter into a new culinary experience like never before.
This requires just basic pantry friendly ingredients.
Coconut milk/ cream, green jackfruit , onion, tomato, ginger and garlic, Oil, pepper, coriander powder, garam masala and salt with cilantro to garnish it.
First of all rinse green jackfruit well and then take about a tbsp of oil in a pan , heat the oil and add washed green jackfruit, sprinkle some salt . Fry it for about 4-5 minutes until it turns slightly brown.
Keep it aside. Using the same pan or another pan, add another tbsp of oil and add chopped onion, cook it for a minute then add ginger-garlic paste. Cook it for another minute.
It’s time to add chopped tomatoes and all the spices(Coriander powder, pepper and garam masala) with some salt. Combine it and cook well until oil separates out from the mixture.
The best part of the dish add, coconut milk and Jackfruit. Mix well and let it to simmer for about 5 minutes. This helps to thicken a bit and allows jackfruit to soak up all the flavors.
Once its simmered for 5 minutes , the color changes to dark brown and the dish is ready to be served. It so simple and easy but very tasty 🙂 . Garnish it with cilantro and serve it with Indian bread or rice!
If you made this , please rate and comment below.
If you like to try out different Asian recipes, you may like the below
Spinach lentil soup – Indian
Orange Cauliflower – Chinese
Pineapple fried rice – Thai
Buddha bowl – Cambodian
General Tso’s Tofu – Chinese
Pan fried Momos – Tibet
Fresh spring roll – Vietnamese
Sesame Garlic Ramen– Japanese
Mie Goreng – Indonesian
Jackfruit Coconut Curry
- 1 Can Coconut Milk/ Cream 13.5 FL Oz (400 ml)
- 1 Can Green jackfruit 1 Lb or 550 grams
- 2 Onion Chopped
- 1 Tomato Chopped
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste or grated ginger
- 1 Tsp Garlic paste or minced
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed black pepper Add more if you like spicier
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Garam masala Powder
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro To garnish
- 1/2 Cup Water Only if required
- Rinse: Take green jackfruit and rinse it well with water
- Fry : Take 1 Tbsp of oil in a pan and fry the washed green jackfruit with a pinch of salt for 4-5 minutes or until it turns slightly brown. Keep it aside
- Cook: In the same pan or in a different pan, add 1 tbsp oil and add chopped onions. Cook for about a minute. Add Ginger and garlic paste. Cook for another minute
- Add tomatoes and spices: Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, garam masala, crushed black pepper. Mix well and cook until tomatoes are fully done and oil separates out of the mixture. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk: To this add coconut mill/cream and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well
- Add green jackfruit: Add green jackfruit and mix well. Simmer it fo 5-10 mins. You will notice that it will thicken a little and jackfruit would have soaked up all the flavors. If it gets too thick you can add some more water cup water and adjust the spices accordingly.
- Garnish and serve: Garnish the dish with chopped cilantro. Serve it with Indian bread (Roti/Naan) or Rice. Enjoy when its hot.
- This dish stores in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Garam masala can be substitute for Curry powder as well. But my favorite is garam masala.
- If you add coconut cream, it gives intense coconut flavor but coconut milk will have a milk flavor. Choose according to your liking. You can also use fresh coconut and grind it to get a coconut paste and add little water to get milky consistency.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
Leave a Comment below. If you have tried the recipe, let me know how it turned out!
I'd love to hear from you.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?