A homemade Indonesian Kecap Manis—sweet, syrupy, and thick soy sauce perfect to use for any stir-fried dishes or any asian dishes. It’s also perfect use as sauce and bases for tofu, vegetables, and pretty much anything! You can also use this as a dipping sauce for steamed veggies, fried food or sushi roll as well.
This is very easy to make with the available ingredients in pantry.
Add all the ingredients- Soy sauce (I like to use dark soy as it give dark color), brown sugar , garlic, ginger, clove, star anise and pepper corns in a pan and bring it to simmer for about 15 minutes and you are done! The sauce is ready. Isn’t it easy?
Just strain out star anise ,cloves and pepper corn. You can strain garlic and ginger as well but i left mine in there.
This sauce thickens as it cools and most amazing part is this can be stored in the refrigerator for unto 4 months.
I love adding this to Mei Goreng
Kecap Manis (Sweet Soy Sauce)
- 1 Cup Soy sauce I used dark soy
- 3/4 Cup Brown sugar you can use any sugar
- 2 Star anise
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Garlic halved
- 1 Inch Ginger sliced
- 1 Tsp Whole black peppercorns you can substitute with pepper powder
- Combine: In a small saucepan over medium low heat, place all the ingredients and mix to combine.
- Cook : Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. If the sauce comes to a boil at any point, reduce the heat so that it remains at a low simmer.
- Strain: Turn off the heat. Remove or strain cloves, star anise and peppercorns. You can opt to remove garlic and ginger too if you'd like(But I left mine in there).
- Let it cool: Leave the mixture to cool completely before storing in a jar and refrigerating. The sweet soy sauce will continue to thicken as it cools completely.
- Store: Store in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. This can be stored for months!
- Can be stored for up to 4-6 months in refrigerator
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?