Warm weather is coming to an end and its beginning to get cooler in Iowa, USA. This is announcement of Fall season. I harvested the last batch of spinach for the season , so I decided to make hot soup to complement the dropping Fahrenheit.
I am very excited to share this recipe as this has been passed down to me from generations and I grew up eating this as soup and curry with rice and roti (Bread). Of course the consistency of both curry and soup is different and the process of making is different as well but has the same ingredients.
In olden times, with little to no electricity and blender being a concept or a luxury, how did one make soup, I always wondered!!Legend has it that they used to churn the soup using a wooden beater and it won’t be as creamy as our modern soup!
Well, I do not have wooden beater but we can definitely get that consistency using blender. Today’s recipe will be about authentic Indian spinach lentil soup that has all the goodness of fresh green leafy vegetable and lentils, providing a very nutritious balance.
Let’s meet the ingredients.
Spinach, Lentils, onion, tomato, garlic, green chilly, cilantro, mint with sesame seeds and lemon wedge to garnish . Boil the lentils in a pot or cooker to make the process faster.
The simplicity of this recipe is you can add as many different greens as you like with combination of spinach.
Enjoy the hot soup and let me know how it turned out. Rate and comment below.
Spinach Lentil Soup
- Sauce pan
- 2 Cups Spinach
- 1/4 Cup yellow split pigeon peas use any lentils of your choice
- 1 Onion Diced
- 1 Tomato Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Chilly
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
- 2 Tbsp Mint
- 1 Tsp Sesame Seeds Optional
- 1/2 Wedge Lemon Optional
- Cook Lentils: Add lentil to pot or cooker and cook them till soft. If its pressure cooker it takes up to 10 minutes, but cooking in sauce pan may take up to 25-30 minutes for lentils to be completely cooked.
- Tip: Soak lentil 30 minutes before if you plan to cook lentils in sauce pan.
- Saute: Take a pan , add onion, garlic, tomato, spinach, green chilly, cilantro, mint and salt. Cook until they are very tender. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Blend: Once the cooked veggies are cooled , blend them coarse in food processor.
- Transfer: Transfer the processed soup to a bowl.
- Serve: Divide the soup into 2 serving bowls and add the cooked lentils on top on it.
- Garnish: Add sesame seeds/ lemon wedge and enjoy hot soup.
- You can use any lentils of your choice.
- Add your choice of green leafy veggies.
- Soak the lentils 30 minutes before if cooking it win sauce pan, This helps the lentils to cook faster.
- If you want the soup creamy, just blend to smooth and add a little cream on top when you serve soup.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?