When me and my husband were touring Mexico, we encountered a totally alien language which made communication a challenge. Being a herbivorous in an alien land was quite challenging. We had a light bulb moment and we quickly summoned Google to translate language for us.
We ordered food as if we were in our home country. Soon enough a sizzling plateful of quesadilla was begging us to hog into.
I discovered that traditionally quesadillas are made using Corn tortilla and I must say they taste so much different than Flour tortilla that we use in America. I was also amazed by the taste of the filling it was so crunchy and juicy. They had cooked the veggies just enough that they stay crunchy. So yum!
What is Quesadilla?
The word Quesadilla translates to cheesy pastry in Mexican Spanish language, although instead of true pastry, a corn or flour tortilla is used.
This easy veggie quesadillas recipe is 100% customizable with whatever veggies you happen to have on hand. It’s also on the healthier side, quick and easy to make, and So very delicious!
When I have very less time or less patience to cook food this is my go to meal. I just throw in some veggies that are handy in my fridge and make them hot and delicious in just few minutes.
I usually like to sauté my veggies before i put them in quesadilla so that they are cooked just enough to melt away with cheese.
Well, how about having this super yummy Quesadilla with some Guacamole and Salsa. May be with dollop of Sour Cream as well! Do you dip you Quesadilla ? If you do then, Check out recipes for Authentic Guacamole and Salsa.
I sometimes make quesadilla with wheat tortillas (Indian Roti’s) and it tastes great as well and I call them Fusion Quesadilla.
I have made this recipe to taste like Quesadilla from Mexico. So not everyone have to travel to Mexico to eat this yummy dish… make it at home yourself !!
As I am tying away last few sentences of the blog, I finished last bite of roasted Quesadilla. Yum Yum! How tasty… Will you let me know how yours turned out?
Quesadilla – Veggie Loaded
- Saute Pan
- 1/4 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika
- 1/4 Tsp White/Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro
For Quesadilla Filling
- 2 Cups Veggies- Onion, Bell pepper, Spinach
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 1/2 Cups Mexican-blend cheese/Cheddar/Monterey jack/Colby Jack
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Large Tortilla or 3-4 Medium Tortilla
1. In a small bowl mix cumin powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, white sugar, paprika, a generous pinch of salt . keep it aside
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onions, bell pepper and jalapeno, and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add spinach immediately and stir in the seasoning , saute for 1 more minutes. Do not cook more than 1 minute and take it off the heat. We don’t want veggies to become watery.
3. Taste and add more salt, pepper and/or cumin if needed. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
4. Return the saute pan to the stove, and reduce heat to medium. Place a tortilla in the center of the pan and immediately sprinkle your desired amount of cheese evenly over the surface of the tortilla.
5. Add a few large spoonful of the veggie mixture on one half of the tortilla, then sprinkle on some cilantro.
6. Fold the other side of the tortilla over to create a half moon. Continue cooking for another 30 seconds or so, or until the bottom of the tortilla is crisp and golden.
7. Then carefully flip the tortilla over and cook it for an additional 30-60 seconds on the second side.
8. Cut them using knife or Pizza cutter and serve with salsa or Guacamole or Sour Cream
8. Transfer to a serving plate, slice into triangles.
9. Plate warm Quesadillas along with your favorite salsa, guacamole and/or sour cream for dipping.
- Add any veggies of your choice as this is easily customizable.
- Add black bean or Pinto beans with veggies to make it rich in protein
- To make it Vegan, Simply replace cheese with vegan cheese
- To make this dish traditional use Corn Tortilla
- Can use Wheat Tortillas (Indian Roti's)
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors9.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?