I discovered that adding colors to food can greatly improve your mood. So, I try to make my food colorful by adding natural food colors whenever feasible.
These Blue pancakes are colored with natural food coloring – Butterfly Pea Powder is made from petals of flower. Are you familiar with Butterfly Pea Powder? Does it sound strange? I am sure it does! When I heard it for the first time, it sounded strange to me as well and I wondered what this is powder!
But let me tell you a small story on what happened when I bestowed this beautiful looking dish to my 18 months little one. Anyone want to guess what happened? I am sure you would have already started to guess… Wonder stuck?? Stare at it? Smile? eat?? Yes that’s right, all the reactions were priceless, I wish I had captured that in a video!!! My little one literally hogged into it as if that’s the last pancake left on earth!! It is pure bliss to see kids eating with enjoyment. Don’t you think?
So next time I made it Purple by adding lemon juice to butterfly pea powder. It’s magic!!! When butterfly pea powder gets in contact with citrusy lemon it changes its color to even more vibrant color Purple. It gets really creative when you try to mix colors in food! But be sure to omit baking soda in your recipe if you want your pancakes to be Purple. It’s interesting that baking soda instantly changes Purple color back to Blue.
Can anyone resist this dish? Any one? I don’t think anyone will… People who don’t love Pancakes will fall for this and who loves them will go make it.
Since this is a natural coloring there is no chemicals involved and is very safe to give it to kids. I have started to use natural colors wherever possible.
Color the food Blue
These purple pancakes are colored with natural food coloring- Butterfly Pea Powder. Butterfly Pea Powder is also knows as Blue Matcha and is made from the petals of a flower indigenous to Thailand.
These flowers have been consumed in eastern medicine for centuries as:
Blue Matcha is rich in antioxidants known for stimulating collagen production and reducing inflammation. I highly recommend to use this as it has health benefits.
Try this recipe out , impress your family and friends with vibrant color, and let me know as well! Also, let me know if you want to hear more recipes using natural food colors.
Blue and Purple Pancakes
For the Pancakes
- 1 1/2 Cup All purpose Flour / Maida
- 1 Banana Big or 2 Small
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tsp Butterfly Pea Powder or Blue Matcha
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- Prep the ingredients: Put all the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl (except for Butterfly Pea powder)
- In a blender: Add banana, milk, Butterfly Pea powder and blend until smooth.
- Add to the mix: Add the banana mixture and Maple syrup to the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well. If you want to make the pancake purple see notes.
- Preheat the oven: Brush the pan with oil and preheat it under medium-low heat.
- Batter in the mold: Pour the batter into a mold
- Cook the pancakes: When the pancake starts bubbling a bit, the bottom will be lightly browned, flip it over and cook briefly on the other side. remove from pan and serve
- Toppings: Top with Cherry / Raspberry / Chocolate syrup or any fruit of your choice
- To make Purple pancake, OMIT Baking Soda in your recipe. (FACT: Backing soda turns purple back to Blue). Mix 1 tsp butterfly pea powder in 1 tbsp water and 1/2 tsp lemon to get the desire color, mix it properly so that there are no lumps and then add it to the batter directly. If you want deep purple color add more powder and lemon. DO NOT add Lemon to milk directly.
- If you wish to not use this powder then you can use blueberry to get light blue color (Blend Blueberry). Also, adjust/reduce milk quantity as blueberry blend is liquid.
- You can use equal quantity Wheat Flour and All purpose flour as well in this recipe. But I used All Purpose to get bright purple color.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?