If you have never heard of crepes you are probably living under a rock. Crepes and Macaroons are the two most popular deserts which the French have given the world. Although they did not give a dime about vegetarians. Even today, if you visit France you would be lucky if you can find a place that serves good vegetarian Crepes.
Well not any more. Today’s recipe will make you fall in love with crepes while giving you a thought – why do they put eggs in crepes when it can taste the same if not better without them.
Crepes are a very thin version of pancakes. They are served with a variety of fillings: a simple powdered sugar to fruits, chocolate, sweet yogurt, nutella, the list goes on. You can also enjoy savory crepes by adding cheese, Spinach and cheese, kale and tomatoes with cream cheese.
So pull out your toque and create the most unique version of crepes and share it with me.
First time I ever had a crepe was in France which was eggless but not dairy free. Well, I should say it was not easy to find a place where they make crepes without eggs but luckily we found it. It was filled with chocolate spread and bananas which tasted so yum! Since then I always wanted to make crepes but we started venturing around different culture and food and this dish got lost in the mind.
Next time I had this delicious dish was in Thailand and this time it was in a vegan place and we had a cinnamon flavored crepes.
I then realized that these crepes can be customized to many flavors , toppings and fillings. This recipe given an idea of how to customize the crepes to your liking. Scroll down to watch the video on how to make crepes.
What are Crepes?
A crepe (French spelling “crêpe”), is a very thin pancake-style but are much larger than pancakes and also much thinner. The texture is very close to a pancake but slightly softer. Crepes are either served with a sweet filling or with a savory filling. This recipe will give you ideas for sweet crepes.
Ideas for sweet toppings and fillings
- Chocolate syrup spread with fresh chopped strawberries
- Strawberry jam and peanut butter with crushed peanuts.
- Apricot jam with desiccated coconut and whipped coconut cream.
- Apple puree with toasted walnuts/pecans/almonds and ground cinnamon.
- Maple syrup, pear slices with dark chocolate chips and syrup
- Coconut yogurt, pineapple slices with chopped almonds
Ideas for savory toppings and fillings (If vegan use the vegan alternative)
- Cream cheese with tomatoes and kale
- Cheese with spinach and onions
- Feta cheese with basil and tomato
Video on how to make Crepes
If you made this please do leave a comment and rate the recipe
French Crepes- Eggless
- Non stick pan
- 2 Cups All purpose flour I have used 50/50 of All purpose and wheat flour
- 2 1/4 Cup Non dairy or dairy milk I have used almond milk. Can use any milk of your choice
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil or melted coconut oil or Avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom extract Optional
- 1/2 Cup Dark chocolate syrup
- 1 Cup Strawberries chopped
For the Crepes
- Prep: Before you start, make sure all the ingredients are at room temperature. If you are using cold milk, it may create flour lumps that will require an electric beater to be mixed well.
- Add and whisk: In a mixing bowl, add flour of your choice - I have used 50:50:: All purpose: Wheat flour. Whisk few seconds to remove any big lumps.
- Add: Add sugar, oil, soy milk (all at room temperature), vanilla extract and cardamom extract (Optional)
- Combine: Whisk until the crepe batter forms without any lumps. The batter should be slightly thick but runnier than pancake batter.
- Heat the pan : Warm a non-stick griddle under medium heat.
- Add oil and rub: Rub oil onto the pan using a piece of absorbent paper. This helps crepes to not stick.
- Make Crepe: Scoop the batter onto the pan, then rotate the pan to spread the batter as thinly as possible. Note that 1/2 cup of crepe batter perfectly covers a 28 cm (11 inches) crepe pan and makes a thin crepe.
- Cook: Allow it to brown 2-3 mins on one side. You know it's ready to flip the crepe when the underside is getting crispy and unsticks by itself.
- Loosen and flip: Loosen sides with a flat tool and then slide a spatula under the crepe to flip on the other side.
- Cook: Cook for a minute more on the other side, then put on a plate and repeat this until no more batter left. I could make about 8 large 11-inch crepes with this recipe.
Toppings and filling
- Melt: Melt the dark chocolate in a sauce pan and use it as a spread or use any store bought syrup
- Chop: Chop strawberries
- Assemble: Take 1 crepe at a time and add the chopped strawberries, pour the chocolate syrup and fold it into half, pour more syrup and fold again and add more syrup. Repeat for all the crepes
- Serve: Serve them and enjoy it as breakfast or dessert
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?