In olden times, the kings and the royals would have a feast where they used to have over a hundred dishes. That used to define their royalty. Bigger the feast, mightier the king. Times have changed and it is not practical to make so many dishes per meal. But that doesnt take away your chance to feel royal. If you are able to pull together a recipe that is rich is flavor, is royal looking and makes your guest give you a royal salute, you are no less a king.
Presenting the new king of the sweet world, the first of his name, his highness ‘Rajwadi Khand’. The name of this dish Rajwadi Khand gets by the way it looks. Rajwadi meaning “Royal” and Khand meaning “piece” which is royal looking piece of bread in coconut milk.
This dessert is inspired by a well known Indian dessert Shahi Tukda. But the beauty of today’s recipe is, I have completely modified the taste of it by not deep frying the bread instead just roasting it and making the milk base using coconut milk which enhances the palate.
The flavor of coconut is rich and is a star ingredient of this dish. Taking a bite of roasted bread with coconut milk and nuts sounds interesting as well as exciting isn’t it?
This is another exciting dish I have prepared to celebrate year 2020’s Diwali along with Khajoor Nutkhat.
This can also be easily modified to be a vegan dessert. Substitute dairy milk with non dairy milk and use vegan ghee or vegan butter.
Let’s meet the ingredients and steps
If you made this, please leave a comment and rate the recipe.
- 6 Slices Bread
- 3 Tbsp Ghee or clarified butter Vegan's substitute this with Vegan ghee
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 14 Oz Coconut Milk can 400 ml
- 1 Cup Milk Vegan's use non dairy milk
- 1 Tsp Cardamom powder
- 20 Strands Saffron
- 1/3 Cup Slivers of almonds and pistachios to garnish
- Prep the bread: Cut the brown corners of bread slices and cut the slices either into rectangle or triangle.
- Roast the bread: Heat a Tbsp of ghee and roast the bread slices on both sides. Add more ghee if you wish.
- Transfer: Remove the bread slices on to a tissue.
- Make the Coconut flavored milk: Combine coconut milk and milk in a pan. To this add sugar, saffron and cardamom powder. Let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. If you like this to be thicker you can boil a little longer but I like it thin. After 20 minutes take off the gas
- Prep the serving Plate: Place the ghee roasted bread in a serving plate and pour the coconut milk on to it.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with slivers of Pista and Almond , serve and enjoy immediately.
- Make it Vegan- Use just coconut milk or use any non dairy milk with coconut milk.
- Vegan- Replace Ghee with Vegan Ghee
- Keep the bread pieces ready and assemble it when you are about to serve otherwise, it will become soggy.
- You can make this with wheat bread or even multigrain bread.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?