The numero uno goal of creating this website is to present international cuisines in a vegetarian, budget friendly and innovative way. Now that it is established, there are some recipes which we believe would be difficult to prepare at home because of how complex it looks. One such dish is the Gyro.
When I challenged myself to try it, I was surprised at how few ingredients were required. The result was outstanding, my family devoured it and I was ecstatic at accomplishing a feather in my cap.
This dish is fusion of Middle eastern/Mediterranean and Caribbean. Caribbean dishes usually uses spice called “all spice”. All spice sounds fancy but its actually made from dried berries of a plant known as Pimenta dioica….I have not used ‘all spice’ in my recipe but have used a substitute of it which makes no difference in taste. All spice is combination of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg. I can proudly say that this is pantry friendly and no fancy ingredients are required.
This version of falafel has a bit of both the worlds, sweet and spicy. Sweet potato gives the sweetness while all the other spices gives the hint of spiciness… the texture falafel gets is from chickpea and flavor is from sweet potato… You can adjust the spiciness by adding more paprika or cayenne pepper or can add more of red chili powder.
Sometimes if your sweet potato is over cooked mix can get very tender , handling the falafel mix may become little challenging, well there is a solution to it, just add a tbsp of chick pea flour or a little more of soaked chick pea and blend it again , and this should solve the problem.
One tip that I always give my readers is that never use canned chick peas for any falafels you make as canned are cooked and we need just soaked chick peas to get the best falafels.
My choice for spread inside gyro is Muhammara which is a Middle eastern dip.
But there are some other great options as well Tzatziki, Tahini, Hummus , hot sauce
Let’s dive deep, meet the ingredients and steps to make the Gyro
If you make this, please leave a comment below and rate the recipe.
Sweet potato Falafel Gyro
- Blender or food processor
- 1 Cup Cooked sweet potato
- 1 1/2 Cup Chick peas Soaked and uncooked
- 1/2 Cup Dill
- 2 Tbsp Chick pea flour If required
- 1 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger powder substitute with fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Clove powder
- 1/4 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup Muhammara Use any of your favorite sauce or spread
- 2 Tomatoes sliced
- 1 Cup Cabbage chopped
- 1 Onion sliced
- 6 Pita bread
- 2 Cups Oil for frying
- Blend: Combine all of the ingredients for the falafel - Sweet potato, chick peas, dill, salt, cumin powder, chili powder, paprika, ginger, cinnamon powder, clove, Nutmeg, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice in a food processor or a blender and pulse until combined into a nearly smooth mixture. It should be a thick mix.
- Note: If the mix is not thick add a little more of soaked chick pea or chick pea flour.
- Fry: Heat the oil for frying in a skillet. Scoop a spoon full of mix to form balls and drop them carefully into the pan or alternatively oil your palm , make the balls and flatten them slightly and cook them on each side for about 3 minutes until crispy.
- Transfer : Transfer the falafels on to tissue to drain the excess oil
- Assemble Gyro: Apply the spread (muhammara) , add the veggies and arrange falafels, roll the pita from bottom to get cone shape. Enjoy the Gyro
- If your falafel mix is too soft due to over cooked sweet potato just add a spoonful of chickpea flour to soaked chickpea. This should make the mix a little easier to handle. you can use parsley as a substitute of dill.
- Falafel can also be baked for about 20 minutes at 375 degrees F or until browned.
- Another alternative- After frying, if falafels seem soft, bake them for about 10 minutes in 375 F which should help them to be a little more solid.
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
Leave a Comment below. If you have tried the recipe, let me know how it turned out!
I'd love to hear from you.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?