When I say ‘wrap’ what comes to your mind – burrito, gyros, frankies. But then there is another kind where you put faith in your imagination and bring it to the table. Why don’t burritos have tomatoes in them, or why doesn’t a frankie have olives. Well I love jackfruit way to much to skip it in a wrap because the textbook says so. I have already glorified jackfruit in my jackfruit coconut curry recipe and now I want to break the rules and create something so magical, it would write a history of itself. Presenting the jackfruit wrap – a vegan/vegetarian gluten-free quick meal recipe – a soft bread covering the ever so versatile jackfruit and vegetables of your choice layered with the lip smacking Muhammara dip. Try it to believe it, there is no other way.
All you need to make this wrap is basic ingredients.
Can of green jackfruit, some spices like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and coriander powder, onions, tomatoes, pita bread, olives and cucumbers. Any choice of your dip. I love adding Tzatziki as well
First of all, to make the jackfruit look like meat just follow this simple step of cutting them and squeezing out the water using kitchen towel.
Once the water is squeezed out it almost looks like meet. Now cook it with all the spices until it becomes dry for about 5-6 mins.
Jackfruit is all ready to be filled up in the wrap!! It’s one of the most simple recipes that can be made with very less time. Well if you need to make any dip that adds up a little more extra time but its worth! Or if you choose to use the store bought then that makes it easier.
Wrap it up and stuff it in!!!
If you like Middle eastern/Mediterranean you may probably like these
Sweet Potato Gyro
Try this out and let me know
- frying pan/ skillet
- Kitchen towle
- 14 Oz Green Jackfruit 400gm Fresh or canned stored in Water (Do not use the one in syrup)
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 Tsp Paprika Can use Cayenne or Red chilly powder as well
- 1/4 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 Tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- Drain and wash: If using canned jackfruit, drain it and wash it well with cold water.
- Cut: Cut the jackfruit into slices
- Sqeeze out water: Place the cut jackfruit in the middle of kitchen towel , roll it up and wring it out firmly. Sqeeze out as much as water as you can. (refer the blog post for pictures)
- Cook: Take a pan and add oil, once its hot add the sqeezed jackfruit. Cook for about 5 mins until it becomes almost dry
- Add spices: Add cumin powder, coriander powder, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt. Mix well and cook for 2 more minutes. Switch off the stove and keep the jackfruit aside to fill it up in the wrap.
Make the wrap
- Prep: Keep all the ingredients that goes in the wrap handy
- Apply the dip: As per your choice spread the dip on to the wrap. I have added both Muhammara and Tzatziki but you can choose your favorite spreads/dips
- Add ins: Add in the onions, tomatoes, olives, pickles/cucumbers , jackfruit, spinach. Wrap it up and enjoy with any dip of your choice. My favorite is Tzatziki
- Spread any dip of your choice. Some of the other choices are Hummus, Veganise or if you eat eggs then you can add mayonnaise
Find Sublime flavors on Instagram with #sublimeflavors.
Or click the button below to connect.
Leave a Comment below. If you have tried the recipe, let me know how it turned out!
I'd love to hear from you.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?